Aging in Place
The Benefits of Aging in Place Home Care
Growing older is a fact of life; it is an unavoidable truth that we all face eventually. There are many considerations that go into how we want to continue to live our lives independently, and with dignity. The choice to either age in place or enter institutional care is a complex and deeply personal decision that hinges on factors such as the amount of health care needed and the availability of family assistance.
When we ask our senior population, individuals aged 65 and older, what they fear as they begin this new chapter in life, the responses are telling. Some of the most common concerns for our elder population are the loss of their independence, their health, and their ability to remain in their own home.
At Circle of Care Home Care, we believe there’s no need for anyone to sacrifice their comfort, familiar place, or sense of community. We offer quality in-home care services in Orange County, Los Angeles County, Riverside County, San Diego County, and San Bernardino County.
Why Are So Many Choosing to Age in Place?
Besides the individual cost savings, aging in place has also been shown to have health and emotional benefits over institutional care.
Aging in place helps protect social connections. Social isolation is a major problem among the elderly, and relationships that are found in a community are important to maintain throughout life. Aging in place allows people to better maintain their social relationships. In an AARP survey, 41 percent of those who want to remain in their community stated that their primary reason for staying was their friends, followed by family, safety from crime, and a pleasant neighborhood/community. Additional reasons include
Various studies conducted over the past decade have shown a preference for in-home care among 70 to 90 percent of those over the age of 65. Many seniors and their families are opting to remain in their own homes for as long as it is reasonable to do so.
What Are the Benefits to Choosing Home Health Care?
There are a number of reasons in-home care is the right choice for many families. The ability to work with your homecare team to develop a plan that fits your needs is merely the first of many benefits. Others are:
- Care is focused specifically on you or your loved ones needs. This also allows clients (and their family members) to form a stronger bond with their caregiver, providing a more personable experience.
- Care provided in the client’s home can help bridge the gaps for those who may not require full-time assistance. This ensures clients are not losing their independence and are still receiving the help they need.
- Risk of contracting illnesses, such as COVID-19, present in typical assisted living facilities is reduced considerably. Your loved ones are able to remain in the comfort of their own home—we come to you!
- Over 90% of elderly prefer aging in place over a care facility (AARP)
- Nursing home expenditures are more than three times those of non-institutional long-term care services, and approximately one-fifth of nursing home bills are paid out of pocket. (US Dep. of Housing and Urban Development)
- Aging in place has also been shown to have health and emotional benefits over institutional care.
What Services Are Offered by In-Home Caregivers?
Whether you or your loved one are in need of help with lifestyle assistance or activities of daily living (ADLs), there are many options available to you.
A specially tailored plan will ensure you are comfortable and, most importantly, confident with the quality of care provided. There are various services available to provide the best all-encompassing home health experience possible.
- Housekeeping and other household chores
- Meal preparation
- Transportation to and from appointments, grocery pickups, etc.
- Reminders for social engagement to manage mental health
- Options for part-time round-the-clock care in the home
- Personal care: hygiene, mobility, help with dressing, etc.
- Providing companionship to ensure emotional needs are also being met
- Providing reminders for medications
- General wellness monitoring
There are many uncertainties in life; your care as you grow older does not have to be one of them. There are many services and support resources available to you that advocate ageing in place.
You should never feel that you must sacrifice the quality of life that you love, your independence, or your dignity. You deserve the best care possible, on your own terms, and in your own space.